Opal is a singular and engaging gemstone that has been utilized in jewelry for millennia. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is each lovely and attention-grabbing. Opals undoubtedly deserve a spot in your jewelry assortment, however what do you actually learn about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewelry, how opals are fashioned, and the best way to take care of opal jewelry to make sure that it stays wanting lovely for years to return.
Let’s get began …
How are Opals Fashioned?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, forsaking a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, finally forming a strong mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take anyplace from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the particular situations and elements concerned. The result’s a singular and exquisite gemstone with a definite play of color, created by the way in which gentle refracts via the layers of silica.
Not all opals characteristic the iridescence and play of color seen significantly in Australian opals, however as an alternative have extra of a strong colouring which could be white, yellow, pink, orange, pink and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewelry for hundreds of years, with a number of the earliest examples relationship again to historical Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals have been believed to have magical powers, they usually have been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewelry was changing into extra broadly obtainable, and it turned a well-liked alternative for engagement rings and different big day jewelry.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewelry turned much more standard and as we speak it stays a well-liked alternative for jewelry lovers as we speak. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is a good way so as to add some color and character to your jewelry assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is thought for producing a number of the finest opals in the world, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, however it wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary business opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits have been present in areas resembling Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia continues to be largely a small-scale trade, with most of the mines being family-run operations. Nonetheless, there are additionally bigger mining corporations that make use of tons of of individuals and produce vital quantities of opal every year.
At this time, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewelry designers and jewelry lovers around the globe. With their distinctive and charming play of color, Australian opals proceed to be a very fashionable alternative for these in search of a particular and exquisite gemstone.
The way to Take care of Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them wanting their greatest. Listed here are some suggestions for caring on your opal jewelry:
- Opal is sort of a tender gemstone, so retailer your opal jewelry individually from different jewelry to keep away from scratches and harm. Tender fabric pouches or jewelry containers are perfect for storage of treasured jewelry.
- Clear your opal jewelry often to take away grime and oil buildup. To wash opal jewelry, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry completely. Take a look at our complete jewelry cleansing information for extra suggestions.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewelry moist often or for prolonged intervals, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We advocate taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewelry will get moist, it is best to dry it shortly and completely to stop harm.
- For prime worth opal jewelry, we advocate having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in high situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewelry to harsh chemical compounds, resembling bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can harm the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on treasured metallic which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as greatest you possibly can and make sure you rinse and dry completely once you’re carried out.
- By no means expose opal jewelry to excessive temperature modifications, as this will trigger the gemstone to crack or turn into discoloured. Particularly do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Lovely Opal Jewelry to your Assortment
Opal jewelry is a fantastic and distinctive alternative of gemstone for jewelry lovers. Whether or not you are in search of a special day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly vibrant addition to your assortment, opals are a really particular possibility.
At Simone Walsh Jewelry we’ve got a choice of reasonably priced opal jewelry, together with some small and exquisite Australian opals, Mexican hearth opals and strong color variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Take a look at our opal jewelry vary, together with our full gemstone jewelry assortment. We’re certain you may discover one thing you’re keen on.