It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to seek out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Might left behind. The summer season months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing fully pure substances, let’s enterprise into the great world of candle making and defend our out of doors house the pure method with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes aren’t any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We reside in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergy symptoms and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there is no such thing as a method you possibly can enable a gateway for bugs to affix your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll wish to contemplate making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll offer you just a few extra tips about how one can keep bug free this summer season!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your individual DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for just a few causes. One, it’s inventive and enjoyable. Received’t you get a way of pleasure burning home made candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle gentle on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for positive! The most important cause is they supply safety in opposition to mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the simplest bug repellent you possibly can use, they’re price utilizing and supply at the very least one layer of safety. I wish to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to preserve my home made bug spray shut. Whereas working towards all three habits, it is best to have the ability to have an satisfying time outside.
A few years in the past I wrote a put up on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and in addition a Bug Chew Balm. I talked concerning the risks of typical bug sprays and harassed that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent again and again is extremely poisonous. Over time I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve at all times needed to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they’ll get with these dang mosquitos!
You may additionally like my citronella bug repellent cubes as effectively! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, just a few issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a wonderful soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 challenge of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil seemingly supplied as much as three hours of safety in opposition to mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that draws them.
Second, just a few issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax truly purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very like diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and filth carry a POSITIVE cost. The unfavorable beeswax ions connect to the constructive pollution and principally wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles will be extraordinarily helpful for these of you affected by allergy symptoms and bronchial asthma! If you’re burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, consult with my put up on how one can make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars in your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers through the use of a scorching glue gun to attach the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 method full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to completely soften. Maintain your range prime on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour scorching wax into glass containers. I used to be capable of make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You possibly can see the sizes from my footage.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why under)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Permit to set for 48 hours as a way to remedy earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low-cost citronella important oil. There isn’t a must go along with a high quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing lots. I used THIS oil.
- You probably have a bunch of previous candles mendacity round and even candles that you just did not burn fully, you’ll be able to soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is after all a more healthy possibility however I at all times like to repurpose objects in my residence that I not use! Skip the coconut oil in case you are utilizing already made candles.
- In the event you favor to skip the beeswax, you should utilize soy wax as an alternative. Skip the coconut oil in the event you do.
Candle Making Ideas and Methods:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range prime. This may enable little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which is able to stop cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for simple elimination.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, enable your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit along with your oven door barely ajar. This may stop cracking as effectively. You should definitely carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax will be an inconceivable activity. I counsel you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you’ll be able to put your glass bowl within the oven, enable the remaining beeswax to fully soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one method I’ve discovered to wash up.
- When first lighting your candles, at all times level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn appropriately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, make sure you could have sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is essential with any candle and helps “practice” your candle to not tunnel. (see under for extra tips about avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. In the event you soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you possibly can render the beeswax ineffective. Maintain the range prime on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth continues to be on the wax. If the wax is simply too scorching, the oil will fritter away and in addition be ineffective.
Associated Submit: Important Oil Spider Spray
Further Useful Tricks to Maintain Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low-cost, comfy and straightforward to move out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or have been you want to hang around. These vegetation add an additional layer of safety in opposition to annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so in the event you don’t have a tough winter, it more than likely will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can also be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop just a few further drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works effectively in opposition to mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser outside.
- Burn citronella incense whereas exterior.
- Examine round your patio house for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be stunned how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Bother Capturing Candle Tunneling
Selfmade beeswax candles, whereas simple to make, are arduous to get proper. As you’ll be able to see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve discovered just a few tips to maintain your candles from tunneling and tackle it intimately in my how one can make beeswax candles put up. I’ll inform you right here that it’s crucial that you just “practice” your candles the primary time you gentle them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the way in which to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to want some assist with this so I’d counsel you employ foil to assist. See image under.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable home made citronella candle recipe! This yr, we want all the assistance we will get exterior!
You may additionally get pleasure from my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your individual home made citronella candles is a good way to salvage these summer season nights spent exterior. They’re simple to make and comparatively inexpensive. I believe THESE jars are an awesome dimension to make fairly just a few candles to maintain available to carry as hostess presents to barbecues!